Why join Guildford Choral?
Singing touches the soul, enriches the mind and adds to the enjoyment of life, but what’s so special about us?
- Quality reputation - we perform with professional orchestras and soloists of the highest calibre. We love singing and constantly strive to raise our performance.
- Inspirational venues – we sing in Guildford Cathedral and G Live locally, and also receive regular invitations from London orchestras and promoters to take part in their concerts in stunning venues such as the Royal Albert Hall and Royal Festival Hall.
- Outstanding Musical Director - the distinguished composer and conductor, Jonathan Willcocks, brings inspirational leadership and a wealth of experience.
- Varied repertoire - we sing a wide variety of music, from the great choral classics to new works by living composers. Over the years we have made a number of recordings, some winning awards.
- Social benefits – we have fun! We make friends, go to the pub and organise events such as country walks, singing days and quizzes – or anything else that members might like to arrange!
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra always enjoys working with Guildford Choral Society.
The enthusiasm and dedication of the singers makes for music making of the highest quality.
Ian Maclay, Managing Director, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Did you know? Scientists have found that choral singing releases the bonding chemical oxytocin into the brain, improving mood and can even bolster singers' immune systems.
So why not try us out! We are always glad to hear from new singers. Contact our membership secretary and arrange to come along to one of our Thursday evening rehearsals.
Some practical details
Click on the headings below to reveal the details
- AuditionsOur singers are asked to take part in a simple audition for basic musicality, and existing members are reauditioned at set intervals
- CommitmentRegular attendance at rehearsals is key to maintaining our high standards. It also enriches your enjoyment of the music and builds your confidence. If you do have to miss two or more rehearsals, we would ask you to discuss this with the secretary
- HomeworkWe are expected to dedicate some time outside of rehearsals to familiarise ourselves with the score. There are helpful aids and rehearsal plans available through the members section of the website
- CostsOur annual subscription is currently £165, which works out at around £4 per rehearsal. Students can join for £55 per year and people under 30 years of age for £80. We would not wish to exclude singers that were unable to meet the costs of joining us for personal reasons, and a trust fund managed by the Friends of GCS is there to offer discretionary and confidential help in these situations. Additional small costs to be aware of may be the cost of travel to other concert venues and score hire.
- MusicScores are available for hire at reasonable cost or you can buy your own copy through the choir librarian. CDs of the pieces we are singing are also available to buy from the beginning of each term; a great way to help learn the music!
- Concert dressMen wear black dinner jackets with black bow ties and women wear black long sleeved tops with either black long skirts or trousers. All singers carry a red folder for their music.
We hope we have answered all your questions and we’ll be seeing you soon, but please do get in touch if you have any more queries.